Trip 058 - August 17, 2011 (Wednesday)
Downtown Chilliwack BC Visit
Page 1 of 2
Liked: Mountains all around in the distance, wide residential streets, downtown parking rates, countdown clock for pedestrian street crossings.
Of note: As Chilliwack is a rural town, associated farm odours could be present at various times. Chilliwack is a very spread out town, so downtown is by no means representative of the rest of Chilliwack BC.
Other Trips in Chilliwack Area: Mount Cheam Peak Trail Hike, Ling Lake Trail Hike, Chilliwack Foley Forest Service Road, Chilliwack Bench Forest Service Road, Elk-Thurston Trail Hike, Slesse Memorial Trail Hike, Chilliwack River Forest Service Road, Radium Lake Trail Hike, Chilliwack Lake Provincial Park, Minter Gardens by Chilliwack BC, Town of Agassiz BC, Bridal Veil Falls Provincial Park.
Today was our exploratory visit to downtown Chilliwack. At first, we checked out Chilliwack's City Hall on Young Road. Then, we drove to Hodgins Avenue, and from there our route was as follows: parked on Hodgins Avenue just past Mary Street, walked West on Hodgins, then North on Ashwell Road (houses on the right, some fields on the left, followed by a small cemetery), East on Wellington Avenue, North on Stanley Street, East on Reece Avenue, North on Corbould Street, East on Berkeley Avenue, South on Young Road, East on Reece again, South on Williams Street, West on 5th Avenue, North on Young Road, then checked out a pretty Salish Park near Young and 1st (library, pond, Coast Chilliwack hotel), and then walked around Wellington Avenue and checked out the cleanup after a movie shoot. Overall, it was a pleasant walk, which took about 2.5 hours.
1. To get to downtown Chilliwack from Vancouver, you need to take Highway 1 East to Exit 119.
2. Upon taking exit 119, turn left (Yale Road) to get to downtown Chilliwack. Turning right onto Vedder Road would lead to Cottonwood Mall, and then to Cultus Lake and Chilliwack Lake Provincial Park.
3. Once you turn left onto Yale Road, this is what you will see.
4. A bit further there are several gas stations. Chilliwack's gas prices are usually about 10 cents per litre better than those in Metro Vancouver.
5. Our first stop is Chilliwack's City Hall.
6. Inside the Chilliwack City Hall the environment is modern.
7. And the message is that of conservation.
8. Here is the current Chilliwack City Council.
9. Now we are back on Yale Road, heading towards Hodgins Avenue.
10. Getting ready to turn left onto Hodgins.
11. And now we are on foot. This neat house is located across from Chilliwack Hospital.
12. A cheerful piece of art in front of the house.
13. Same house, different art.
14. On the corner of Hodgins Avenue and Corbould Street there is Chilliwack Landing Leisure Centre.
15. Outside play areas were full of children and their parents.
16. Here is the brightly decorated front desk area of the leisure centre.
17. Prospera Centre is located further on Hodgins Avenue past Corbould Street. Yellow support beams provide good contrast with the nearby grass.
Our Chilliwack Downtown trip continues on Page 2.
ihikebc.com -> 058 Downtown Chilliwack BCPage 1 of 2