Distance From Vancouver: Approximately 270 kilometers via Highway
1 East and Highway 5 North.
Coldwater hotel exterior, Info Center exterior, numerous excellent
outdoor murals and wall art.
City of Merritt
Merritt BC (wiki).
Other BC Cities, Towns and
Locations We Have Visited:
Harrison Hot Springs,
(Old City Square),
Vancouver (Stanley Park),
Merritt BC is a small town of about 7,000 residents located on
BC Highway 5, about halfway between
Hope and Kamloops. In addition to (comparatively) humane gas prices,
Merritt features several big box stores for a traveler in need, as well
as a small but cozy city center, which we have visited today.
are Eastbound on TransCanada Highway 1 in Fraser Valley.
TransCanada Highway 1 East Fraser Valley
2. Upon reaching Hope, follow signs to Highway 5. You can either bypass
Hope, or take exit 170 to
visit Hope first - the signs to Highway 5 are
TransCanada Highway 1 East near Hope British Columbia Canada
3. Now Northbound on Highway 5 (Coquihalla Highway).
BC Highway 5 (Coquihalla) North of Hope British Columbia Canada
4. Take Exit 286 to Merritt City Center / Kelowna.
BC Highway 5 North Exit 286 to Merritt City Centre and Kelowna
5. Then follow signs to Merritt. Here is a Welcome to Merritt sign.
Entering Merritt BC Canada
6. Merritt city center would be on your left within several minutes. We
parked our vehicle and started a walking tour on Voght Street, which
appeared to be the main artery of what is several blocks of downtown
Downtown Merritt BC Canada - Voght Street
7. Merritt city center features some of the best wall art we have seen
in British Columbia. Here is a City Furniture store on Voght Street
between Coutlee Avenue and Quilchena Avenue.
Wall Art in Downtown Merritt BC Canada
8. Just down the street.
Merritt British Columbia Canada
9. Coldwater Hotel on the corner of Voght Street and Quilchena Avenue
has an impressive exterior.
Coldwater Hotel Merritt BC Canada
10. An artsy area on the corner of Voght Street and Granite Avenue.
Corner of Voght Street and Granite Avenue Merritt BC Canada
11. And here is a close-up of the map seen on the left side of the
Map of Merritt BC Canada
12. More quality art.
Street Art in Merritt British Columbia Canada
13. Granite Avenue at Voght Street.
Granite Avenue Merritt British Columbia Canada
14. There also numerous stars dedicated to country music performers
throughout Merritt city center. This star is dedicated to Tracy
Tracy Prescott star in the town of Merritt BC
15. Fine Bonzai Bicycles wall art on Coutlee Avenue between Garcia
Street and Voght Street.
Bonzai Bicycles Wall Art Merritt British Columbia Canada
16. Another Merritt map on the corner of Coutlee Avenue and Voght
Old Merritt BC Wall Map
17. A picturesque church on the corner
of Chapman Street and Quilchena Avenue.
Church on the Corner of Chapman Street and Quilchena Avenue in Merritt
18. This cenotaph is located by Merritt Civic Center, on Mamette Avenue
by Chapman Street.
Cenotaph Merritt BC
19-20. Just a bit further on Mamette Avenue (closer to Voght street)
is Merritt City Hall, featuring this painting on the outside.
Merritt City Hall Wall Art
20-21. About a hundred meters later, colourful Merritt Info Center
is located on the corner of Mamette Avenue and Voght Street.
Merritt Info Centre
22. The yard behind the Info Center.
Merritt Info Centre Yard
Merritt city center can pass for an open air gallery, thanks to the
wonderful displays of murals and wall art.
Trip 136 -
Merritt BC City Centre Visit