Location: Central British Columbia. About 9 hours by car from
Vancouver via Highways 1 and 97.
interesting buildings. Uncrowded streets.
Of note: The possibility of usual large
town social issues. Prince George is subject to highly unpleasant odour
from the local pulp mill.
City of Prince George
George Civic Centre,
Wikipedia: City of Prince George.
Other Trips in Prince George Area:
Grizzly Den Trail Hike,
Viking Ridge Trail
Exploration Place Visit,
Tacheeda Mountain Trail
Chuchinka-Colbourne FSR Trip, Teapot Mountain Trail Hike,
Sawdust Trail Hike.
Other BC Towns We Have Visited:
Harrison Hot Springs,
Vancouver (Stanley Park),
Prince George is the largest town in Northern British Columbia, and is
home to about 80,000 people. We have visited downtown Prince George,
and here are the photographs of interesting sights we have found.
1. We start on Canada Games Way at 7th Avenue with a sign indicating the
direction and distance to nearby attractions. It is possible to see most
of the downtown in half an hour.
Prince George Directions and Distance to Attractions from Canada Games
2. A hundred meters further is the entrance to Prince George Civic
Plaza. Not seen on this photo to our right is Two Rivers Gallery, and to
our left is a pool.
Clock Tower by Prince George Civic Plaza
3. Just past the tower clock.
Civic Plaza Prince George British Columbia Canada
4. On the left side of the photo above is
Prince George Civic Centre.
Here it is up close.
Prince George Civic Centre British Columbia Canada
5. There are numerous eateries in downtown Prince George, and
Twisted Cork restaurant is housed in this interesting-looking building.
The Twisted Cork Restaurant Prince George BC Canada
6. Prince George War Memorial, and City Hall behind it.
Prince George War Memorial and City Hall
7. Aboriginal art by City Hall.
Aboriginal Art Prince George BC Canada
8. Picturesque Downtown Motel sign by the City Hall. The motel is
located at Dominion Street and 7th Avenue.
Downtown Motel Prince George British Columbia
9. A mosaic at the nearby Prince George Community Foundation Park.
Mosaic Art Downtown Prince George BC Canada
10. Detail of the mosaic.
Prince George BC Mosaic in Community Foundation Park
11. Terry Fox statue is located nearby.
Terry Fox Statue Prince George British Columbia
12. Prince George RCMP is housed in a modern building at the corner of
4th Avenue and Victoria Street.
RCMP Building Prince George BC Canada
13. Tastefully done.
Prince George RCMP Building Sign
14. A vintage street sign on the corner of Vancouver Street and 3rd
Old Street Sign Prince George British Columbia
15. Colourful Native Friendship Centre is located on the corner of 3rd
Avenue and Prince Rupert Street.
Prince George Native Friendship Centre
16. Third Avenue between Winnipeg Street (behind us) and Prince Rupert
Third Avenue Prince George British Columbia Canada
17. Prince George law courts are at the corner of 3rd Avenue and George
Prince George Law Courts
18. Arguably the best colour-matched building in downtown Prince George
is on the corner of 3rd Avenue and Queensway.
Third Avenue at Queensway Prince George BC Canada
19. Several downtown street blocks have this sort of art running the
whole length of the block.
Prince George BC street art
20. Someone gave this tree a sweater on 6th Avenue by George Street
(right by the Farmer's Market, held every Saturday until 3 PM).
Sweater on a tree Prince George BC
21. Finally, and we forget exactly where, there is a bench with this
lady in downtown Prince George.
Bridget Moran statue Prince George British Columbia
22. Her name is Bridget Moran, and she was a prominent Prince George
Statue of Bridget Moran in Prince George
There are sure some sights to see, if you find yourself in downtown
Prince George, BC.
ihikebc.com -> 099
Downtown Prince George BC