Prince Rupert Location:
Near the Western end of BC Highway 16.
Numerous excellent wall art pieces, a variety of tasteful building
colours, Cow Bay, lots of free parking, whale tail-shaped benches, the
feel of a town with its own identity.
City of Prince Rupert is subject to a tsunami after an earthquake
- head to a higher ground.
Northern BC Backroad Mapbook (3rd edition) Prince
Page 16 (Prince Rupert) E3.
The latest edition of Backroad Mapbook for this and other regions, as well as GPS maps, are available at
City of Prince Rupert (Wiki).
We have visited the City of Prince Rupert during a
road trip, and checked out its downtown, as well as Cow Bay.
1. We are Westbound on BC Highway 16 on a rainy
Wednesday morning. City of Terrace is behind us, and Prince Rupert is
ahead. On a sunny day, this is, likely, a very picturesque drive, with lots
of mountains along the highway.
Highway 16 West Between Terrace BC and Prince Rupert BC
2. Prince Rupert welcomes us.
Welcome to Prince Rupert Sign
3. Prince Rupert logo on grass. We are still on
Prince Rupert Logo on Grass
4. And, not even a hundred meters later, this amazing
wolves wall art.
Wolf Wall Art Prince Rupert BC Canada
5. Many BC towns have wall art, but this one is one of
the best we have seen.
Wolf Wall Art Prince Rupert British Columbia
Howling Wolf Wall Art City of Prince Rupert British Columbia Canada
7. The third wolf.
Wall Art Prince Rupert BC
8. Cuddly, isn't he?
Cuddly Wolf Wall Art Prince Rupert BC
9. Painted wolves and a real deer. Better than the
other way around. This guy was hanging out on 6th Avenue.
Deer on 6th Avenue Prince Rupert BC Canada
10. Prince Rupert is home to about 12.5 thousand
people, and it only takes 5-10 minutes to get to downtown once you enter
the city. Keep driving on Highway 16, and downtown will soon appear.
Here it is. See a dancing guy in the middle left of the photo?
Downtown Prince Rupert British Columbia
11. Greek dance time. Corner of 2nd Avenue (aka Hwy 16) and 6th Street.
Prince Rupert BC
Zorba's Taverna Dancing Man Art Prince Rupert BC Canada
13. Wall art continued a block away, courtesy of Moby
Dick Inn. 2nd Avenue between 8th and 9th Streets.
Moby Dick Inn Prince Rupert British Columbia
14. Slightly to the left.
Moby Dick Inn Prince Rupert BC Canada
15. The other side.
Moby Dick Inn City of Prince Rupert BC
16. Downtown walking tour lead to a discovery of
Salmon Wall Art Prince Rupert British Columbia
17. This building is located on the corner of 7th and
Fraser, and houses Wood & Steel General Contractors.
Salmon Wall Art Prince Rupert BC Canada
18. Just a bit further, and the art tour continues
with orca whales displayed on Pacific Inn.
Prince Rupert BC
19. Also on Fraser Street.
Pacific Inn Prince Rupert British Columbia
20. And, then, there was this most unusual car wash.
Car Wash City of Prince Rupert British Columbia
21. Prince Rupert is a city of colourful buildings.
Lots of them are blue.
Prince Rupert BC Canada
22. But here is a pink one.
Pink Building in Prince Rupert British Columbia
23. Our downtown tour is over, and we are now heading to
Cow Bay, also by Highway 16.
Highway 16 in Prince Rupert BC
24. There is a courthouse by Cow Bay, and the park in
front of the courthouse has a cenotaph.
Cenotaph Prince Rupert BC
Cenotaph Prince Rupert British Columbia
26. Past the cenotaph, we can see the courthouse.
Prince Rupert BC Courthouse
27. It's a pleasant-looking building, even the
hardened criminals agree.
Courthouse in Prince Rupert BC
28. British Columbia coat of arms above the entrance
door. "Splendour without diminishment" is the motto of the province.
British Columbia Coat of Arms
29. View of the courthouse from the side.
Courthouse Prince Rupert BC Canada
Our Prince Rupert trip report
Continues on Page 2.
ihikebc.com -> 118 Visit to
Prince Rupert BC Page 1 of 2