Location: On BC Highway 16, 370 kilometers
West of Prince George and 350 kilometers East of
Liked: A relaxed
small town feel, many useful stores and services, picturesque
surroundings, lots of green spaces, Bulkley River view, Perimeter Trail.
Of Note: A fairly busy rail line runs along
the South side of Smithers.
Northern BC Backroad Mapbook (3rd edition)
Coordinates: Page 36 (Smithers)
Wiki - Smithers BC.
Other Trips in Smithers Area:
Malkow Lookout Trail Hike,
Harvey Mountain Trail Hike,
Glacier Gulch Trail Hike,
Twin Falls Trail Hike,
Village of Telkwa Visit,
Tyhee Lake Provincial Park
Other BC Towns We Have Visited:
Harrison Hot Springs,
Vancouver (Stanley Park),
Smithers is a town of
approximately 5,400 residents,
located on Highway 16 between Hazelton (to the West) and Houston (to the
We have stayed in Smithers for several days
while hiking local trails. With mountains on both sides, and Bulkley
River within its limits, Smithers is a neat small town, well-planned,
with lots of green spaces, and mostly tourism- and service-oriented.
There appears to be a small logging operation in Smithers, and a railway
runs along the South side of town. Smithers features four car
dealerships, several chain stores and service centres (Canadian Tire,
Lordco, KalTire, OK Tire, Mark's, Sportcheck, Safeway, No Frills), a local wholesale store,
and a whole lot of other small stores and eateries, which serve the
locals, highway travellers, and outdoor enthusiasts who come to Smithers
to enjoy numerous recreational opportunities in the surrounding area. If
you are in need of a laundromat (which also has showers and a car wash),
one is located on the North side of Highway 16, just West of A&W. There
is also a shower located at the local pool, with almost half the price
($3.65 versus $6), but zero privacy (you get your own shower room at the
laundromat, but are available for observation
to everyone in the pool's change room, at least the men's side of it). We parked
at a large lot just over a kilometer East of Smithers, and then biked to the
other side of town. After that, we checked South Smithers, followed by North
Smithers, and returned back. Our total distance traveled today was about 25
1. We are at a parking lot just East of Smithers, ready to head West.
Coordinates for the parking lot: N
54'46'221 W 127'08'103.
Parking lot near Smithers BC Canada
2. Here is a map of Smithers located at an info stand at that large
Smithers BC map
3. Welcome to Smithers.
Welcome to Smithers Sign
4. Soon after the sign, and 1.4 km after the parking lot, a uniquely
Smithers thing - two statues (one on each side of the highway) greet
arriving motorists. Two more statues are at the western entrance to
Statues by Highway 16 entrance to Smithers British Columbia - Westbound
5. The statue on the right is a fisherman.
Statue of a fisherman - Smithers BC Canada
6. Highway 16 through Smithers is mostly a four lane road, with convenient turn
Highway 16 Westbound in Smithers BC Canada
7. Main Street (South side of it) is the main tourist street, with many
shops and eateries. Here we are at the corner of Highway 16 and Main
Street, slightly less than three kilometers from the parking lot.
Main Street at Highway 16 in Smithers British Columbia
8. A closer look at the nearby wall art.
Wall Art on BC Highway 16 corner of Main Street in Smithers BC Canada
9. Alpenman is the symbol of Smithers, and he greets you at the beginning
of (South) Main Street.
Alpenman - the symbol of Smithers British Columbia
Alpenman on Main Street in Smithers British Columbia
11. Lots of free parking on Main Street.
Main Street Smithers BC Canada
12. As well as this clock, on the corner of Second Avenue.
Clock on the corner of Main Street and Second Avenue - Smithers British
13. Further down Highway 16, there is Smithers Info Centre. A
sani-station is located nearby.
Smithers Chamber of Commerce and Visitor Centre - Smithers BC Canada
14. Bug art at the entrance to the Info Centre.
Art at the entrance to Smithers Visitor Centre and Chamber of Commerce
15. Now it's time to check out a picturesque setting of Smithers. This
is what Twinn Valley Inn looks like from the outside.
Twinn Valley Inn Smithers British Columbia Canada
16. We have reached the West "gate" to Smithers, located about 3.4 km
from the East "gate", and about 5.0 km from the parking lot.
BC Highway 16 West at the Western end of Smithers British Columbia
17. The statue on the right is a horse.
Smithers BC Horse Statue by Highway 16
18. And on the left is a bear.
Bear Statue by Highway 16 in Smithers BC Canada
19. We then explored the residential part of South Smithers. This is Toronto
Street at Third Avenue, looking South.
Toronto Street at Third Avenue Smithers BC Canada
20. A house on the corner of Manitoba Street and Broadway Avenue. A rail
track runs just a block away. A silver lining is that the trains in
Smithers do not blow their horns nearly as often as they do in
Valemount, for example, so the noise is not as pronounced.
Corner of Manitoba Street and Broadway Avenue in Smithers British
21. Smithers Town Office on the corner of Aldous Street and Alfred
Avenue. Alfred Avenue is where you would find most government offices in
Smithers, including a courthouse.
Smithers Town Office
22. Smithers Public Library is nearby.
Smithers Public Library
23. We then went down King Street, and, on the corner of First Avenue,
discovered a restored Old St. James Anglican Church. There is an info
stand nearby explaining the history of the church and its restoration
process. Quite an interesting read.
Smithers Old St. James Anglican Church
26. Hudson Bay Lodge is located on the corner of Frontage Road and
Hudson Bay Lodge Smithers BC Canada
27. We are now on the North side of Smithers, and how about the setting of this
house on the corner of Main Street and Fourteenth Avenue.
Corner of Main Street and Fourteenth Avenue Smithers British Columbia
28. A building on the corner of Main Street and Eighth Avenue.
Building on the corner of Main Street and Eighth Avenue Smithers BC
29. We then biked on Tenth Avenue until it became Rosenthal Road and
started going downhill.
Rosenthal Road Smithers British Columbia Canada
30. At the bottom of the hill, there was Bulkley River, as well as one
of the many entrances to a very neat Perimeter Trail. Here is a map of
the trail, with a circle in the top left corner indicating our current
Smithers BC Perimeter Trail Map
31. We ended up exiting the Perimeter Trail onto Queen Street and
heading back to the parking lot. But not before we took this photo of
Bulkley River. Coordinates for this view: N
54'47'268, W 127'09'595. You would need to go down a short but steep
hill for the best view.
Bulkley River Smithers BC
32. A few days later, we have found this goat statue on Main Street at
Highway 16, nearly diagonally opposite of Alpenman.
Goat Statue Smithers BC Canada
33. And we finish with a fine piece of wall art on the exterior of
Smithers Secondary School.
Smithers Secondary School Wall Art
Smithers must be quite a fine place to live. It
sure was a neat place to visit.
ihikebc.com -> 143
Visit to Smithers BC