Trip 049 - July 19 and 21, 2011 (Tuesday and Thursday)
Harrison East Forest Service Road Trip - Page 1
To about 68 km mark, somewhat close to the end of the road
Big changes for Harrison East - click here for 2015 trip report
Distance From Vancouver: About 130 km to the beginning of the FSR via Highway 1 East (to Exit 135), then Highway 9 North (to Harrison Hot Springs), and Lillooet Avenue / Rockwell Drive.
Liked: Smoothest road surface of all the FSRs visited, waterfalls, lake views, relatively few people (on a weekday).
Of note: Logging trucks in the area, no cell phone reception, brutal mosquitoes.
Vancouver, Coast & Mountains Backroad Mapbook (2010 edition) Coordinates for the Beginning of the FSR: Page 14 (Harrison Lake) G7. The latest edition of Backroad Mapbook for this and other regions, as well as GPS maps, are available for purchase at BackroadMapbooks.com.
Related Website: Chilliwack District FSR Conditions.
Subsequent Trip: 077 - Harrison East FSR Second Trip.
Other Trips in Harrison Hot Springs area: Clear Creek Forest Service Road (off Harrison East FSR), Shovel Creek Forest Service Road, Harrison West Forest Service Road, Denhams Trail Around Weaver Lake, Chehalis Forest Service Road, Bear Mountain Hike, Harrison Hot Springs, Campbell Lake Trail Hike.
Harrison East Forest Service Road runs for about 22 kilometers along the East side of Harrison Lake, and then diverts into some of the finest Southwestern BC wilderness. We have driven to the split with Shovel Creek Forest Service Road (58.4 km mark), and decided to drive further on Harrison East. But that's where numerous cross ditches began to appear, and we got badly stuck far away from the nearest human being. Thank God for Tow Truck in a Box - we got out! We then drove on Shovel Creek FSR, hiked an unnamed FSR the next day (Wednesday), and then on Thursday returned to the split and hiked Harrison East close to the end, or about 70 km mark.
The first two pages of this trip report describe our Tuesday adventure, and the third page is dedicated to the Thursday hike. Shovel Creek FSR trip report follows Harrison East FSR trip report. During all of our trip, low-hanging clouds concealed much of the surrounding wilderness, plus the rain was fairly frequent. In sunny weather you are likely to see even more.
On July 5, 2011, we have visited a substantially less impressive Harrison West FSR.
Other Trips in Harrison Hot Springs area:
1. We are on Highway 1 East around Chilliwack, en route to Exit 135.
11. And you don't have to wait long for good lake views. This one arrives shortly after the 2 km mark.
12. One of the most impressive waterfalls along Harrison East FSR is Rainbow Falls, seen from the bridge at the 6.7 km mark.
13. Rainbow Falls close-up.
Here is our video of Rainbow Falls:
14. Another good lake view is at the 8.7 km of Harrison East.
15. Yet another decent Harrison Lake view is at the 14.0 km mark, where the lake opens up, and you are starting to drive with a good view of the lake by your side for over a kilometer.
16. Still smooth. Still wide.
17. The next waterfall awaits near Bear Creek recreation site around the 15 km mark.
18. Another one is on the right side of the road 3.5 kilometers later.
Please, proceed to Page 2 for the continuation of our trip report.
ihikebc.com -> 049 Harrison East FSR Page 1 of 3