Grizzly Den trail is located in Sugarbowl - Grizzly Den Provincial Park,
east of Prince George. Unlike Viking Ridge trail, located within 20
minutes driving distance, Grizzly Den trail is not nearly as steep,
and its meadows are not as large or wet. Most importantly, the
mosquitoes are not as numerous or aggressive. Viking Ridge does have an
edge in the views category, but Grizzly Den features two very neat
cabins, and the views at the end of the trail are quite good too. Also,
it's possible to hike a loop and connect to Raven Lake trail. You would
have to then hike for about 2.5 kilometers on Hungary Creek FSR to get
back to your vehicle at the Grizzly Den trailhead. Do note that the
connecting trail between Grizzly Den and Raven Lake trails is not
marked, and a GPS would be very helpful to find your way.
1. We are Eastbound on BC Highway 16, approximately 90 kilometers East
of Prince George, and 4.2 km East of Viking Ridge trail parking area,
getting ready to turn right onto Hungary Creek Forest Service Road.
BC Highway 16 at Hungary Creek FSR turnoff East of Prince George
2. Immediately after turning onto Hungary Creek FSR.
Coordinates: N 53'51'771 W 121'31'274.
Elevation: 726 meters.
Hungary Creek Forest Service Road near Prince George BC Canada
3. Hungary Creek Forest Service Road is suitable for all regular
vehicles all the way to Grizzly Den trailhead parking 12.5 km later.
Here we are at the split where Grizzly Den trail parking is to the left
(in a hundred meters or so), while Hungary Creek FSR continues to the
right for 2.6 km and ends at the Raven Lake trailhead. Hungary Creek FSR
past this split becomes fairly rough, so a high clearance vehicle might
be required beyond this point.
Hungary Creek FSR split
4. Now at Grizzly Den trail parking area. The trail begins at the yellow
sign seen ahead. Coordinates: N 53'46'787 W
121'29'793. Elevation: 1,157 meters.
Grizzly Den Trail Parking Area near Prince George British Columbia
5. Here is a map of the trails in the Sugarbowl - Grizzly Den Provincial
Park, posted by the trailhead. We have indicated on the map as follows:
orange arrow: Viking Ridge trailhead, burgundy arrow: Highway 16 at
Hungary Creek FSR, yellow arrow: Raven Lake trail parking area, red
arrow: Grizzly Den trail parking area, blue arrow: 8 Mile cabin, green
arrow: Grizzly Den cabin.
Sugarbowl - Grizzly Den Provincial Park Map
6. Grizzly Den trailhead.
Prince George Hiking - Grizzly Den Trail
7. There is some steepness to this trail, but gaining 560 meters in over
5 kilometers of hiking is not that difficult. Do note that, for good
views, one has to climb a ridge, and the total elevation for this hike
would be 700 meters.
Prince George Hike - Grizzly Den Trail
8. A fine bridge arrives 500 meters from the start of Grizzly Den trail.
Hiking in Prince George area - Grizzly Den Trail
9. Grizzly Den trail features two neat shacks, both with outhouses in
the vicinity. Here is the first shack, called 8 Mile Cabin, located 900
meters from the start of the trail. Both cabins are stocked with
8 Mile Cabin - Grizzly Den Trail - Hike in Prince George Area
10. Inside 8 Mile Cabin.
Inside 8 Mile Cabin by Grizzly Den Trail near Prince George British
9. Looking the other way. It is also possible to climb into the attic.
Grizzly Den Trail 8 Mile Cabin
10. There is not much to see on this trail until the second cabin.
Grizzly Den Trail - Prince George Trail
11. There are some small creeks here and there, and a few foot bridges
allow to cross larger streams.
Sugarbowl - Grizzly Den Provincial Park British Columbia Canada
12. Here is one of those foot bridges.
Trail in Prince George Area -
Grizzly Den Trail
13. Just like Viking Ridge trail, Grizzly Den trail has some meadows,
but they are not as large or wet. Also, snow is likely going to be on
this trail (almost?) all Summer long, especially closer to Grizzly Den
Meadows on Grizzly Den Trail - Hiking in Prince George BC area
14. Speaking of meadows.
British Columbia Hiking - Grizzly Den Trail near Prince George
15. And then it was hiking on snow.
Hiking in BC - Grizzly Den Trail near Prince George
16. The arrival of Grizzly Den cabin.
Grizzly Den Cabin near Prince George BC Canada
17. The cabin comes with a (prairie) dog.
Prairie Dog in Sugarbowl - Grizzly Den Provincial Park near Prince
George BC Canada
18. Inside Grizzly Den cabin.
Grizzly Den Cabin by Grizzly Den Trail
19. The opposite side. Attic is also available, should the ground floor
get too crowded.
Inside Grizzly Den Cabin
20. The views arrive shortly after the cabin. There is this ridge beyond
the cabin, which needs to be ascended. Hiking poles and boots would be
essential here, not only because of snow, but also because the ground
consists of small loose unstable rocks.
Sugarbowl - Grizzly Den Provincial Park
21. The higher you climb, the better the view behind you.
Hiking in British Columbia
22. Looking to the left.
23. Looking to the right.
British Columbia Hiking
24. Now on top of the ridge. Coordinates: N
53'44'310 W 121'32'508. Elevation: 1,857 meters (700 meters elevation
gain from the start of the trail).
Ridge above Grizzly Den Cabin - Hiking in BC
Here is our video of the views from the top of
the ridge above Grizzly Den cabin
25. We got hit by rain and hail shortly after climbing up.
Rain in Sugarbowl - Grizzly Den Provincial Park
26. A few minutes later.
Hiking in Prince George Area
Grizzly Den trail has half the steepness, half the mosquitoes, and less
than half of the wet and muddy meadows than Viking Ridge trail. But also
has half the views. But features two cabins. Recommended.