This particular Teapot Mountain is located North of Prince George, and
should not be confused with
Teapot Hill by Cultus Lake near Chilliwack in the
Lower Mainland of British Columbia. Just like its southern namesake,
this hike leads to lake views, and, just the same, features several
teapots placed here and there along the trail. This is a short hike,
taking all of 90 minutes round trip. It's a popular trail too, so you
are likely to meet quite a few people, especially on a weekend.
1. To get to Teapot Mountain, take Highway 97. Here we are Northbound,
with Prince George about 45 kilometers behind us, and see a sign
indicating Tallus Road approaching on the left side.
BC Highway 97 Near Tallus Road
2. Soon, here is the turnoff to Tallus Road.
Coordinates: N 54⁰19.051' W
Photo of BC Highway 97 Tallus Road Turnoff
3. Upon turning onto Tallus Road, there is a railroad to be crossed.
Railroad Crossing Tallus Road North of Prince George British Columbia
4. Nine hundred meters after turning from Highway 97, turn right from
Tallus Road unto Caine Creek Forest Service Road.
Tallus Road at Caine Creek Forest Service Road British Columbia Canada
5. It's a smooth ride all the way to the trailhead, 3.4 km after turning
onto Caine Creek FSR (4.3 km after turning onto Tallus Road from Highway
97). Here we are on Caine Creek Forest Service Road with Teapot Mountain
looming in the distance.
Teapot Mountain Seen From Caine Creek FSR BC Canada
6. Several hundred meters before the trailhead, there is a bridge with
this fine view on the right side.
View from the Bridge on Caine Creek Forest Service Road Province of
7. Two hundred meters after the bridge, there is a turnoff on the right
side - you would be at the trailhead within a minute after making that
turn. However, many folks parked right here, as parking space by the
trailhead is limited to just a few vehicles, and the trail is quite
popular by Northern standards (i.e. the MOST popular Northern trail we
have seen so far).
Coordinates for the turnoff seen below: N
54⁰19.624' W 122⁰40.244'.
Caine Creek FSR Turnoff to Teapot Mountain Trailhead
8. Here is that parking area by the trailhead, which begins on the left
side of the photo. Pit toilet (not pictured) is on the right side.
Parking at Teapot Mountain Trailhead North of Prince George British
9. And off we go. Teapot Mountain trail starts benignly enough. The
biggest concern was aggressive mosquitoes, spoiled by two-legged meals
coming to their 'hood with regular frequency.
Prince George Hiking -
Teapot Mountain Trail Hike Northern BC Canada
10. Within a few minutes, we got a feeling that this could be the
Northern BC's version of
Grind - just look at those natural stairs.
Teapot Mountain Trail - Hiking in Prince George Area Canada
11. That feeling ended soon, as the "stairs" mostly disappeared, but
what appeared is this treacherously smooth stretch, which would be quite
a challenge to tackle on the way down without hiking boots and,
Prince George Hike -
Teapot Mountain Trail Northern British Columbia Canada
12. Twenty minutes after the trail starts, there is this split, allowing
you to walk the second half of the trail in a loop.
Hike in Prince George Area -
Teapot Mountain Trail Split
13. We went counterclockwise, and the first view arrived in four
View From Teapot Mountain Trail Northern BC Hiking Canada
14. Moving on.
Teapot Mountain Trail Near Prince George BC Hike
15. Here is a leaning tree of Teapot Mountain.
Leaning Tree on Teapot Mountain - Trail near Prince George British
16. And another view.
View from Teapot Mountain Northern British Columbia - Canada Hiking
17. Fifteen minutes after the trail split, you are at the main viewpoint
at the 1 km mark, at the elevation of 900 meters (a gain of a few
hundred meters or so from the start of the trail).
Teapot Mountain Main Viewpoint - Northern British Columbia Hiking Canada
18. Good view of Summit Lake from the 1 km mark viewpoint. This photo
also features a steep unbarricaded drop-off, which are in abundance on
top of this mountain. The sun was shining at us, making the view a
Summit Lake View from Teapot Mountain Near Prince George BC