Prince Rupert Location: Near the Western end of BC Highway 16.
Numerous excellent wall art pieces, a variety of tasteful building
colours, Cow Bay, lots of free parking, whale tail-shaped benches, the
feel of a town with its own identity.
City of Prince Rupert is subject to a tsunami after an earthquake
- head to a higher ground.
Northern BC Backroad Mapbook (3rd edition) Prince
Page 16 (Prince Rupert) E3.
The latest edition of Backroad Mapbook for this and other regions, as well as GPS maps, are available at
City of Prince Rupert (Wiki).
30. A few hundred meters from the courthouse is Cow
Cow Bay Promenade Prince Rupert BC Canada
31. It has a statue to sailors lost at sea.
Sailor statue Prince Rupert British Columbia
32. A very solemn statue indeed.
35. A good view of Cow Bay from the promenade.
Beige-coloured building at the far end of the street below is part of a
Waterfront Market, which contains a Visitor Information Centre and a
souvenir shop, among other things.
Cow Bay Prince Rupert British Columbia Canada
36. Slightly to the right of where we stood when
taking the photo above is a Kazu Maru memorial. Kazu Maru is a name of a
small Japanese fishing vessel, which its owner took to the open sea and
disappeared. The ship appeared many months later in British Columbia
waters without its owner, and now it stands inside a Japanese-style
building in memory of the captain.
Kazu Maru Memorial Prince Rupert BC Canada
37. While enjoying Cow Bay, be aware of the need to
run to a higher ground should there be an earthquake, lest you be
subjected to a tsunami.
Tsunami Hazard Zone city of Prince Rupert BC
38. Just before the beige buildings seen on photo #35
there is a fence with several photos, and there are also two maps: a map
of a waterfront walking tour...
Prince Rupert BC map of waterfront walking tour
39...and a map of a city walking tour.
Prince Rupert BC map of city walking tour
40. We are getting closer to the Waterfront Market.
Prince Rupert British Columbia Canada
41. Here it is.
Waterfront Market Prince Rupert BC Canada
42. A bit of history displayed on the wall - there
used to be a halibut exchange here, with large amounts of halibut being
shipped from Prince Rupert to various markets across North America.
Prince Rupert Halibut Exchange Info Board
43. The participants of the halibut exchange.
44. We are walking on the other side of the Waterfront
Waterfront Market Prince Rupert British Columbia
45. The Inside Passage ship.
Inside Passage Ship docked in Prince Rupert BC
46. View of Cow Bay marina. So named after a Swiss
entrepreneur unloaded cows for his farm.
Cow Bay Marina - Prince Rupert British Columbia Canada
47. A cow head and a British-style telephone booth.
48. Eagle Bluff B&B at the end of the Waterfront
Eagle Bluff B&B in Prince Rupert BC Canada
49. View of Cow Bay marina past Eagle Bluff B&B.
Cow Bay Marina Prince Rupert BC Canada
50. One more.
Cow Bay Marina Prince Rupert British Columbia
51. So, yeah, those cows...
Cow Bay Information Board
52. Very stylish Smiles Cafe. So named after a smiling past owner.
Smiles Cafe Prince Rupert BC Canada
53. Definitely a Prince Rupert thing - a bench in the
shape of a whale tail.
Whale tail bench Prince Rupert BC
If you are ever in the area, Prince Rupert has a lot
to show to a traveler with a few hours to spare.
ihikebc.com -> 118 Visit to
Prince Rupert BC Page 2 of 2