Location: Northeastern British Columbia, approximately 63 kilometers Southeast of Tumbler Ridge.
trail, the waterfall, very few flies.
Of note: Unbarricaded
stones at the bottom of the creek pool (should you choose to go
Northern BC Backroad Mapbook (3rd edition)
44 (Tumbler Ridge) B5.
The latest edition of Backroad Mapbook for this and other regions, as well as GPS maps, are available
for purchase at
Other Trips off Murray River FSR:
Nesbitt's Knee Falls,
Stone Corral Trail Hike,
Monkman Falls Hike,
Other trips in Tumbler Ridge Area:
Bootski Lake Trail Hike,
Mount Clifford Trail Hike,
Trail Hike, Windfall Lake Trail Hike,
Bergeron Cliffs Trail
Hike, Bergeron Falls,
Holzworth Meadows Route
Shipyard & Titanic
Trail, Babcock Falls,
Boulder Gardens Hiking
Town of Tumbler Ridge,
Pinnacle Peak Route
Mine Road & Windfall Creek FSR.
Barbour Falls is located off Murray River Forest Service
Road, which eventually leads to much more impressive Kinuseo Falls.
However, Barbour Falls is a decent waterfall in its own right and, along
with Nesbitt's Knee Falls, could serve as a good side trip for Kinuseo
Falls-bound folks. Please, see our
Trip Report for directions on how to get to Murray River FSR.
1. We are at the 21.4 km mark of the Murray River
Forest Service Road, getting ready to turn left.
54'56'981 W 121'09'386. Going straight at this
juncture would eventually lead to Monkman Provincial Park and Kinuseo
Murray River FSR At Barbour Creek Road by Tumbler Ridge British Columbia
2. Soon after turning onto what now is Barbour Creek
Road, there is a bridge across Murray River.
Barbour Creek Road Bridge Across Murray River
3. View of Murray River from the bridge.
Murray River BC Canada
4. One kilometer after turning left from Murray River
FSR, there is a split on Barbour Creek Road. Going right leads to
Barbour Falls, and going left to Nesbitt's Knee Falls. We took the road
on the right.
Barbour Creek Road near Tumbler Ridge BC Canada
5. Barbour Falls Trail parking area and trailhead would be on your left
side 2.4 km after the split (and 3.4 km after the turn from Murray River
FSR). Here we are already at the parking area.
Coordinates: N 54'55'937
W 121'08'290. The road we took to get
here can be seen on the left side.
Parking Area for Barbour Falls Hiking Trail British Columbia Canada
6. The trail to the waterfall is less than a kilometer long, and is as
easy as they get.
Barbour Falls Trail By Tumbler Ridge BC Canada
7. Shortly before the viewpoint, there is a split. The waterfall path is
to the right. And to the left is a steep descent to Barbour Creek and
Barbour Falls Trail Split With Barbour Creek Trail
8. At first, we took the path to the right towards the waterfall.
Photo of Barbour Falls Trail British Columbia Canada
9. Beware of the drop-offs.
Barbour Falls Drop-Offs Warning
10. Here is the canyon.
Barbour Falls Canyon
11. And here is the waterfall.
Barbour Falls By Tumbler Ridge BC Canada
12. Barbour Falls with a slight zoom.
Barbour Falls British Columbia Canada
Here is our video of Barbour Falls:
List of Our Videos
13. We are heading back towards the split seen in photo #7.
Barbour Falls Trail Hike
14. Back at the split.
Sign to Barbour Creek and Pool
15. Caution sign. Also, note the rope. The path is quite steep at this
point, so you may want to bring your hiking poles.
Barbour Creek Warning Sign
16. Another warning for would-be swimmers.
Barbour Creek Pool Warning Sign
17. After a few minutes, here is Barbour Creek, with a mini-waterfall to
Barbour Creek British Columbia Canada
18. Zooming in.
Barbour Creek Mini-Waterfall
19. The pool with jagged rocks.
Barbour Creek Pool
20. Looking to the right, we see more of Barbour Creek, as it flows en
route to Barbour Falls.
Barbour Creek by Tumbler Ridge BC Canada
21. An information sign shows what Barbour Falls looks like when there
is more water in the creek.
Barbour Falls Information Sign
While hardly a destination on its own, Barbour Falls is a good side trip
as a part of the visit to
Kinuseo Falls and/or
Nesbitt's Knee Falls.
ihikebc.com -> 092
Barbour Falls Trail Hike (near Tumbler Ridge BC)