Location: Northeastern British Columbia, about 40 kilometers
Southeast of Tumbler Ridge.
View of boulders, the route is a circuit, the route is well-marked
and is fairly easy, strong wind kept most mosquitoes away, easy access
via Highway 52 and industrial roads.
No cell phone signal, numerous dangerous crevices
and steep drop-offs, hiking
boots and poles highly recommended.
Northern BC Backroad Mapbook (3rd edition)
44 (Tumbler Ridge) D5.
The latest edition of Backroad Mapbook for this and other regions, as well as GPS maps, are available
for purchase at
Boulder Gardens Route is a unique hike, as you get to
see numerous haphazard rock formations, some of which are simply
fantastic. The route is easy-to-moderate, but, considering much
rock-hopping is involved, it would be a good idea to hike Boulder
Gardens only when the ground and, especially, the stones are completely
dry. Also, due to frequent wind gusts, stay away from the edges of
numerous steep drop-offs found along this route.
1. We are en route on Highway 52, Southeast of Tumbler
BC Highway 52 Southeast of Tumbler Ridge
2. Approximately 25 kilometers from Tumbler Ridge, a
sign would indicate a right turn is required to get to Boulder Gardens,
Babcock Falls, and
Shipyard and Titanic trails (among others).
BC Highway 52 by Core Lodge Road
3. The turnoff to Core Lodge Road follows shortly.
Coordinates: N 54'59'502 W 120'52'487.
BC Highway 52 Turnoff to Core Lodge Road
4. On the photo of the map located by Tumbler Ridge
Visitor Centre, we have indicated the turnoff seen above with a red
arrow, and Boulder Gardens trail with a yellow arrow.
Map of Tumbler Ridge Area
5. Core Lodge Road. Quite Smooth. Speed limit 60 km/h.
Watch for industrial traffic.
Core Lodge Road Near Tumbler Ridge British Columbia Canada
6. At the 5.7 km mark, make a left turn.
Core Lodge Road
7. There are some good views along Core Lodge Road.
Core Lodge Road by Tumbler Ridge BC Canada
8. Make a right turn at the 12.9 km mark (going left
there would lead to the mine). Then,
take another road to the right at the 13.4 km mark, pictured below. This is
the way to Boulder Gardens and
Shipyard & Titanic trails. Taking the
road on the left here would eventually lead to
Babcock Falls - a blue
sign on the right side of the photo below provided that information.
9. Roman Mountain seen on the left. This is where the
mine is located.
Roman Mountain British Columbia Canada
10. At the 14.5 km mark you would reach the parking
area (seen on the left) for Boulder Gardens Route. On the right is the
road we just drove on. Behind us (i.e. going further up the mountain) is
the continuation of the road - 2.2 km later would be the parking area
for Shipyard & Titanic Trail.
Boulder Gardens Route Parking Area
11. View of the moon in the evening above Roman
Mountain from the Boulder Gardens Route parking lot.
Roman Mountain in the Evening
12. The hike begins.
Coordinates: N 54'54'827 W
Boulder Gardens Hiking Route Directions
13. Serious messages.
Boulder Gardens Route Warning Messages
14. Very shortly, there is a split. Straight ahead is
Emperor's Challenge. It's some sort of a local mountain running event.
Our hike is to the left.
15. First good view arrives in no time.
View From Boulder Gardens Hiking Route BC Canada
16. Boulder Gardens is a circular
route, so the signs direct you to do the circle.
Boulder Gardens Route Near Tumbler Ridge British Columbia Canada
17. The path then goes through some trees for a few minutes, until...
Boulder Gardens Route BC Canada
18. ...you are directed to the first short side trip
called "Rock Chimney".