Of the three trails we hiked today, Quality Canyon trail was the only
one which felt like a real hike, with several tough stretches, as
opposed to a neat walk in the woods, which was the case with Murray
Canyon Overlook trail, and Quality Fall trail. You would most likely
encounter much fewer people on this trail than on the trail leading to
Quality Falls. And, if you are able to get down to the bottom of Quality
Canyon and don't mind getting your feet wet, you just might be able to
hike to Quality Falls through a fairly impressive Quality Canyon.
1. We are Southbound on Highway 52, approaching Quality Canyon trail
BC Highway 52 Near Tumbler Ridge BC Canada
2. Here it is, right by the highway. Coordinates:
N 55’10’084 W 120’58’814. Elevation:
901 meters. This parking spot is located 3.1 km to the South of
Quality Falls trail parking by Highway 52.
Parking spot for Quality Canyon trail near Tumbler Ridge British
3. The trailhead is a few hundred meters to the North of the parking
area. A sign leads you there.
Quality Canyon Trail directions Northeastern British Columbia Canada
4. A small boardwalk soon after the start of the Quality Canyon trail.
Quality Canyon Trail British Columbia
5. The trail to the canyon lookout is quite easy.
Quality Canyon Trail Near Tumbler Ridge British Columbia
6. In 40 minutes, we have reached the start of the loop. Going right
would lead to the canyon view in just a few minutes. Going left would
result in a substantially more challenging trail via the mouth of the
Quality Creek, where it ends its journey by joining the waters of Murray
River. We went to the right to see the canyon first.
Quality Canyon Trail start of loop
7. Within 10 minutes, we are at the edge of the canyon. The lookout
point is a few dozen meters to the left, though it gets rather steep
Quality Canyon Trail Northeastern BC Canada
8. Here is the path on the left side.
Quality Canyon Trail in the vicinity of Tumbler Ridge BC Canada
9. And a very neat canyon view very shortly - beware of the drop-off at
the viewing area.
Quality Canyon Northeastern British Columbia Canada
10. Zooming in to check out Quality Falls.
11. Quality Canyon information board.
Quality Canyon Information Board
12. We then returned to the point seen in photo #7, and looked down.
13. The canyon looked interesting, there was a rope to assist
a bit with a very steep descent, and so we went for it.
14. It's a little overgrown down there, but our reward was a view of the
Quality Canyon rock wall - near Tumbler Ridge BC Canada
15. We hiked a bit towards Quality Falls, and were stopped by the
steepness of the canyon. If you are willing to get your feet wet, it
just might be possible to wade straight to the falls (and join the
Quality Falls trail
Quality Canyon BC Canada
16. Climbing back to the main trail. By the way, it's not possible to
continue walking along Quality Creek for much further than where we
descended, as the canyon walls narrow down, and there is a small
waterfall there, which we will see shortly.
17. Now we are again going down the same path which led to the canyon
view seen in photo #9, but this time we kept moving past the lookout to
complete the loop via the mouth of Quality Creek.
Quality Canyon Trail British Columbia
18. Several warnings before you step into the bottom of the canyon on
the other side of the small waterfall.
Quality Canyon warning signs
19. The small waterfall.
Waterfall at the Quality Canyon near Tumbler Ridge British Columbia
20. Continuing the loop.
Quality Canyon trail near Tumbler Ridge British Columbia
21. Now at the point where Quality Creek meets Murray River.
Murray River BC Canada
22. Going forward, this neat bench allows to admire an equally neat view
of Murray River.
Murray River British Columbia
23. Interesting facts.
Murray River information board - Northeastern British Columbia Canada
24. And here are the round trip stats for the hike. The total distance
was 6.93 km, and we were on the move for 2 hours and 6 minutes.
Garmin GPSmap 64s
This trail is recommended for the canyon view, and because Quality
Canyon hike can be as easy or as difficult as you want it to be.
ihikebc.com -> 125
Quality Canyon Trail Hike