Trip 237 - April 27, 2022 (Wednesday) and May 2, 2022 (Monday)
BC Ferries Trip
Horseshoe Bay to Langdale (BC Sunshine Coast) and back
On Queen of Oak Bay and Queen of Surrey
Distance from Vancouver to Horseshoe Bay Ferry
Terminal: Approximately 17 km via Lions Gate Bridge, Marine Drive, Taylor Way and Highway
Liked: Fine views of water and islands.
Of Note: Could be very windy on the sun deck in the front of the ship, the cost of the ride is expensive, sailing waits are possible (unless you have a reservation, which costs extra).
Vancouver, Coast & Mountains Backroad Mapbook (5th edition) Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal Coordinates: Page 11 (North Vancouver) A6.
Vancouver, Coast & Mountains Backroad Mapbook (5th edition) Langdale Ferry Terminal Coordinates: Page 10 (Langdale) D5.
Today we took Queen of Oak Bay BC Ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale Ferry Terminal on BC Sunshine Coast by Gibsons. It's a very picturesque 40 minute ride, as the ferry goes by Bowen Island (on the left) and Gambier Island (on the right) before reaching Langdale. Rain clouds above both of those islands made for an even more impressive picture.
Being a weekday morning, there were few cars and passengers on the ship. The entire Deck 4 was empty of vehicles. At 40 minutes long, this sailing feels quite short, as it takes about half the time compared to the route from Horseshoe Bay to Nanaimo.
The return trip was on May 2nd on Queen of Surrey. The payment for the Langdale Ferry ride uses the same setup as for the Bowen Island - you pay only at the Horseshoe Bay Terminal, and the return trip is free.
1. We are at the western end of TransCanada Highway 1, approaching a split where we need to stay right to get to Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal.
2. Then, comes another split, where staying to the right is again in order for vehicles boarding a ferry. Foot passengers drop off is via the left lane.
3-4. Here are the toll booths. The ticket price is very dear, especially for oversized vehicles or those with trailers.
5. Here is the Langdale ferry line-up.
6. We were directed to form a new lane, so ours is the first vehicle here, but we needed to let the vehicles to our right board first.
7. Boarding time.
Here is our video of boarding Queen of Oak Bay.
8. Queen of Oak Bay is an older ferry, built in 1981, but the views from the top deck are all the same great.
9. The advantage of riding in off-peak hours. Much of the ferry is all yours.
10. Bowen Island on the left, Keats Island straight ahead, and Sunshine Coast / Langdale on the right.
11. Looking more to the left, here is Queen of Surrey in front of Bowen Island and much smaller Hutt Island.
12-13. Looking right we see Gambier Island. Plain and zoomed views. We hiked Mount Killam (on the right) the next day.
14. Inside Queen of Oak Bay, there are many comfortable chairs.
15. Like, a lot.
16-17. A sandwich, anyone?
18. A carless Deck 4.
19. A view of approaching Langdale from Deck 4.
20-21. A larger mountain in the background and a smaller mountain to the left, plus the rain cloud, created an impressive ambiance.
Here is our video of the views from Queen of Oak Bay.
22. About forty minutes after leaving Horseshoe Bay, we are almost there.
23-24. And off we go. Hello, Sunshine Coast!
Here is our video of disembarking and starting to drive towards Gibsons.
25-26. On May 2nd, we headed back, and here we are approaching Langdale Ferry Terminal check-in booths. There is no need to pay, as the payment in Horseshoe Bay covers the return trip as well.
27. Past the booths, there are a lot of lanes for a lot of vehicles. But, being a weekday, there was plenty of space.
28. Main Langdale terminal building.
29-30. Queen of Surrey was 40 minutes late. Here it is approaching Langdale Ferry Terminal.
31. Vehicles disembarking.
Then, we boarded Queen of Surrey, and here is our video of that process.
32. Good-bye, Sunshine Coast!
Leaving Langdale Ferry Terminal.
33. Islands in twilight.
Finally, here is our video of disembarking from Queen of Surrey.
More ihikebc videos are on our YouTube Channel.
It was yet another fine ferry ride.
ihikebc.com Trip 237 - BC Ferries Trip (Horseshoe Bay to Langdale - Sunshine Coast and back)