Distance from Vancouver: 25-30 minutes
after crossing the Lions Gate Bridge. The
trailhead is located
inside Cypress Provincial Park.
Liked: Views of Howe Sound, views of The Lions,
relative solitude on a weekday
Of note: Dangerous trail with
numerous opportunities to get hurt, hiking boots and poles highly recommended, countless flies, no shade at the parking
lot. Long pants and a long-sleeved shirt are highly recommended to
protect against vegetation and the flies. Also, carry a good bug spray or wear a
head net (at least) to keep the flies from nibbling on your skin.
Vancouver, Coast & Mountains Backroad Mapbook (2010 edition) Trailhead
Coordinates: Page 11 (North Vancouver) B4.
The latest edition of Backroad Mapbook for this and other regions, as well as GPS maps, are available
for purchase at
103 Hikes in Southwestern British
Columbia (2008 edition): hike #37.
Other Trips in West Vancouver area:
Park, Ambleside Park.
Cypress Provincial Park - BC Parks.
14. More of the rocks and roots.
Howe Sound Crest South Trail British Columbia Canada
15. This trail wears you out quickly, and when it is as hot as it was (28
degrees by noon in the shade), a rest would help. But, the moment you stop, dozens
of flies descend upon you, trying to bite.
Howe Sound Crest South Trail BC Canada
16. And then, there was this ladder. It didn't make much difference, but, still, a
Howe Sound Crest South picture British Columbia Canada
17. After about two hours of hiking (if you skip the Bowen Lookout), your reward
awaits - a great view of Howe Sound. Even with the haze it was impressive.
That's Bowen Island in the middle left of the frame.
Howe Sound seen from Crest trail British Columbia Canada
18. And, shortly thereafter, The Lions appear again. Naked eye view.
The Lions seen from Howe Sound Crest Trail British Columbia Canada
19. And now with the zoom.
The Lions mountains British Columbia Canada
Here is our video of The Lions and Howe Sound.
20. Walk a bit further and...
Howe Sound Crest South - BC Hiking
21. ...you get to see Horseshoe Bay. There was a ferry docked at the terminal.
Horseshoe Bay seen from Howe Sound Crest Trail - Hiking in BC
22. Then you actually walk down for about 30 minutes until...
British Columbia Hiking -
Howe Sound Crest South Trail
23. ...the improved trail ends.
Howe Sound Crest South trail British Columbia Canada
24. And they mean it.
Howe Sound Crest Trail British Columbia Canada
25. We went past that sign for about 20 minutes, but it was getting tougher and
tougher to keep going. The 1.5 litres of water was close to 50% gone, and it was still 28 degrees and
only about 11:30 in the morning. So, we turned around
four hours after starting the hike. The photo below
is taken on the way back. As you can see, some climbing was still required.
BC Hiking -
Howe Sound Crest trail British Columbia Canada
26. Back at the parking lot, about 2.5 hours later. This
trail would definitely be better to hike in much cooler weather. This might allow for less hazy views
Cypress Provincial Park parking lot British Columbia Canada
ihikebc.com -> 003
Howe Sound Crest South Trail
Page 2 of 2