About 100 meters North of Snug Cove ferry terminal on
short trail to a decent view. Marina view. Shade in the forest. No bugs.
The trail is popular. Parking by the ferry terminal could be an issue.
Constant noise from the island activities. The trail is moderately
challenging in some places. Hiking poles and boots are recommended.
Dorman Point Trail is a very short (1.4 km one way) hike
located in Crippen Regional Park on Bowen Island,
a 20 minute ferry ride from Horseshoe Bay Ferry Terminal in West
Vancouver. The trail starts off a boardwalk by a marina which is about
100 meters from the ferry terminal. Parking is very tight in that area,
due to the combination of a ferry terminal and a commercial area
of Bowen Island. Busy Summer weekends do not look promising, so try to
walk or bike onto the ferry, if you are interested in hiking this trail
in busy times. Or, drive to Robinson Road parking lot, which would
reduce your hike to all of 400 meters one way.
During our visit, there was a loud pressure washing
operation at the marina, as well as constant hammering from a
construction site by the trail. Also, ferry onboard announcements could
be heard during the hike. For your troubles, you get to see a decent
ocean/Bowen Island/small nearby island/Whytecliff Park (West Vancouver) view.
*all trail distances are based on a GPS odometer and
1. Here is a Google Maps location of Dorman Point on
2. We are on Bowen Island Trunk Road at Cardena Road
(transit buses terminate here), with Snug
Cove Ferry Terminal being about 100 meters behind us.
Bowen Island Trunk Road
3. Make a left turn at the above location and start
walking on a boardwalk. This could be counted as the trailhead for
Dorman Point Trail (not much of a difference from the apparent real
trailhead 250 meters further). Coordinates:
49°22.774’ W 123°20.007’ Elevation: 15 meters.
Bowen Island BC
4. At 65 meters, we are passing by Union Steamship
Company Marina office and an eatery (looking back).
Union Steamship Company Marina Office - Bowen Island
5. Now at 85 meters. Stay on the boardwalk. A large green
space is on the left.
Bowen Island - British Columbia - Canada
6. At 165 meters, we are entering Crippen Regional Park.
Crippen Regional Park Bowen Island BC Canada
7. Looking left, there is this fine marina view.
Bowen Island - Union Steamship Company Marina
8. Across a small bridge there is a huge Snug Cove picnic area, as
well as an outhouse (not too far).
Crippen Regional Park
9. The map of Crippen Regional Park.
Map of Crippen Regional Park
10. Proceed past that huge picnic area. This is the right
trail to burn a few calories before or after the picnic.
Bowen Island Crippen Regional Park Picnic Area
11. At 250 meters from Bowen Island Trunk Road, enter
into the forest. This might be the official start of Dorman Point Trail.
Leave your bike, tent, and horse at home.
Dorman Point Trailhead - Bowen Island British
12. Dorman Point Trail in Crippen Regional Park on Bowen
Island, British Columbia, Canada, at 810 meters. This is a fairly easy
trail with some moderately challenging stretches.
Bowen Island Hiking - Dorman Point Trail
13. At 1.00 km from the trailhead at Bowen Island Trunk
Road there is Robinson Road parking lot.
Robinson Road Parking for Dorman Point Trail on Bowen
14. Make a left turn to continue the hike (only 400
meters more from here).
Dorman Point Trail on Bowen Island BC Canada
15. Looking back at Robinson Road after making the left
Robinson Road at Dorman Point Trail in Crippen
Regional Park on Bowen Island BC
16. The final climb. At 1.08 km now.
Dorman Point Trail
17. At 1.16 km, we are almost there. The GPS trail ribbon
showed there was a bit of a trail on the left too, but a sign prohibited
Bowen Island Trail - Dorman Point Trail - Crippen
18. So, we turned right, and here is a blocked view at
1.20 km of the trail.
Dorman Point Hike on Bowen Island BC
19. A nice bench, though.
Dorman Point Trail Bench
20-21. A plain and zoomed views of a small island, as
seen from the above location.
Zoomed view from Dorman Point Trail on Bowen Island
22. To see the best view, proceed a few hundreds meters
more on the right side.
Hike on Bowen Island - Dorman Point Trail
23. Much better.
49°22.633’ W 123°19.557’ Elevation: 85 meters (70 meters elevation gain
from Bowen Island Trunk Road, for about a 5% average trail grade).
View from Dorman Point Trail on Bowen Island BC
our video of the views from this