Unlike its West cousin, East Falls trail is much
steeper, and definitely appears to be less used. East Falls trail does
feature better waterfall, valley and mountain views, as they are not as obstructed
by vegetation. At only 2 kilometers long, the East trail is almost twice
as long as the West trail, and could certainly be challenging at times.
Check out our previous trip report (West Falls)
for getting to the trailhead directions.
Also, while it is possible to observe the most, if not all, of the West
falls from the end of the trail, one can only see bits and pieces of the
East falls while hiking. To see the most of the East waterfall, it is
necessary to stand by the trailhead and look up the mountain, as seen in
1. Standing by the trailhead and looking up the mountain with much zoom, we see Schoolhouse Falls
Schoolhouse Falls EAST near Hagensborg and Bella Coola BC Canada
2. Now at the trailhead.
Trailhead for Schoolhouse Falls East and West Trails - BC Hiking
3. The boardwalk ends about 260 meters later. Make a left turn.
End of Boardwalk - Schoolhouse Falls East Trail - British Columbia
4. Schoolhouse Falls EAST trail shortly
after the boardwalk.
Hagensborg Hiking - Schoolhouse Falls East Trail
5. This trail is short but difficult, with lots of rocks and exposed
Hiking in Hagensborg Area - Schoolhouse Falls East Trail British
6. The forest is quite pleasant, though no match to the one by
Bella Coola Hiking - Schoolhouse Falls East Trail
7. There is a split at the 1.6 km mark.
N 52⁰23.072' W 126⁰32.291'. Elevation: 56
meters.To the left, within 100 meters,
is the first waterfall view, as well as a valley lookout.
Hiking in Bella Coola Area - Schoolhouse Falls East Trail by Hagensborg
8. So, we took the path to the left, and here is a small part of
Schoolhouse Falls EAST that could be observed from this location.
Schoolhouse Falls EAST by Hagensborg British Columbia
9. Bella Coola valley and mountain views are very good too.
Bella Coola Valley seen from Schoolhouse Falls EAST trail
10. With a slight zoom.
Bella Coola Valley British Columbia Canada
Here is a video of the waterfall and the valley.
11. We then returned to the main trail and kept going. After the split,
it gets even steeper.
Trail in Bella Coola Area - Schoolhouse Falls EAST Trail
12. The good news is that there are very few bugs.
Schoolhouse Falls EAST Hiking Trail near Bella Coola and Hagensborg
13. The bad news is that it's so steep that you would need to use an
attached rope, as seen in this photograph.
Schoolhouse Falls EAST Hike - Trail in Hagensborg Area
14. Just a few hundred meters after the split, at about the 1.8 km mark,
slightly to the left of the trail, there is an excellent valley
DANGEROUS AREA - the viewpoint is very close to flowing
water and a very steep unbarricaded drop-off. Beware of slippery
conditions, lest you repeat our slide at the West waterfall, with far
Hike in British Columbia
15. So, yeah, Bella Coola valley.
Bella Coola Valley - Schoolhouse East Trail - Hagensborg Trail
16. Looking to the right.
Bella Coola Valley seen from Schoolhouse Falls EAST near Hagensborg BC
17. Zooming in.
Bella Coola Valley Mountain View - Canada Hiking
18. Moving on, several hundred meters later, at the 2.0 km mark, is
(what we believe to be) the end of the waterfall trail, with this fine
view of another part of Schoolhouse Falls EAST.
Coordinates: N 52⁰22.851' W 126⁰31.527'.
Elevation: 350 meters. You would need to walk for about 50 meters off the main trail, which
continues steeply up the mountain. We did hike it further for another
500 meters or so, where the trail disappeared for no apparent reason.
Perhaps, there are some views further on, or the trail continues for
folks who simply like to hike on the mountain.
Schoolhouse Falls EAST by Hagensborg and Bella Coola British Columbia