Distance From Vancouver:
About 10 kilometers.
Interesting machinery and canning equipment. Fish facts and
exhibits. Reasonable price of admission. Free parking.
There is no air-conditioning, and it was appreciably colder inside than
Georgia Cannery - Official Site.
Other Trips in Richmond Area:
Iona Beach Regional Park,
West Dyke Trail.
Other Historic Sites Trip Reports:
James National Historic Site,
Barkerville National Historic Site.
Gulf of Georgia Cannery is located
in the Steveston neighbourhood in South Richmond. It used to be an
active cannery before shutting down in 1979. Five years later, Parks
Canada restored the plant and turned it into a historic site. The
Cannery is open 10 - 5 every day. An adult ticket costs $8. It is a good
place to visit for children and adults alike to learn about the canning
process and machinery, as well as get acquainted with some interesting
1. Gulf of Georgia Cannery is
located in the Southwest corner of Richmond. You can get there from
Vancouver either via Granville Street or Marine Drive. Then, get to #1
Road and drive South, as seen in the photo below.
#1 Road Richmond BC Canada
2. Richmond is mostly very flat and featureless, so
you won't see much along the route. Get to the South end of #1 Road, and
you are in Steveston.
#1 Road Near Steveston in Richmond British Columbia
3. Turn right onto Chatham Street. The Cannery is only
0.5 km further.
#1 Road Near Chatham Street Richmond BC Canada
4. Now we are Westbound on Chatham Street.
Chatham Street Richmond British Columbia
5. And here is the intersection with Fourth Avenue,
where you need to turn left.
Chatham Street near Fourth Avenue Richmond BC Canada
6. Upon turning left, you'll see your final
Fourth Avenue Richmond BC Canada by Gulf of Georgia Cannery
7. The parking lot is free and quite large. Bus
parking is available too.
Photo of Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site of Canada
8. Then, follow the painted fish for a minute. The
Cannery entrance is where the Canadian flag is seen straight ahead.
Richmond BC Canada
9. Before going inside, check out a neat group of iron
Cannery Workers Statue by Gulf of Georgia Cannery Richmond BC Canada
10. This looks like a cannery worker.
Picture of a Cannery Worker Iron Statue by Gulf of Georgia Cannery
11. Gulf of Georgia Cannery National Historic Site.
Exterior View of Gulf of Georgia Cannery Richmond British Columbia
12. The inside view right after
you enter. The cashier and the exhibition entrance are straight ahead.
Admissions View of Gulf of Georgia Cannery Richmond BC Canada
13. The gift shop is to the right.
Gulf of Georgia Cannery Gift Shop
14. And the photo wall is to the left.
Gulf of Georgia Cannery Photo Wall
15. Time to start the tour.
Gulf of Georgia Cannery Exhibition
16. These men represent fishermen in a commercial
fishing boat of the 1900s style.
Fishermen in a 1900s-style Boat Exhibit Gulf of Georgia Cannery Richmond
Our Gulf of Georgia Cannery trip report
Continues on Page 2.
ihikebc.com -> 062 Gulf of Georgia Cannery
Page 1 of 2