Trip 170 - August 3, 2019 (Saturday)
Hendrix Creek Falls Visit
Off Spanish Creek FSR near 100 Mile House BC
Location: South-Central British Columbia, approximately 70 kilometers from 100 Mile House via Highway 97 (for 2 km), Canim-Hendrix Lake Road (for 64 km), Spanish Creek FSR (for 0.6 km), and 701 FSR (for 2.8 km).
Liked: Hendrix Creek Falls, a very short and easy trail.
Of Note: Many mosquitoes. 701 FSR is somewhat rough - may be suitable for high clearance vehicles only (2WD ok).
Cariboo Chilcotin Coast BC Backroad Mapbook (4th edition) Waterfall Location Coordinates:: Page 31 (Clearwater Lake) C7.
Hendrix Creek Falls is a fine waterfall, and the trail to it is so short (just 300 meters) and easy, that it's hard to call it a "hike". It's definitely overshadowed by nearby cousins, Canim Falls and Deception Falls, and the last 2.8 km of the access road is somewhat rough, but it's a good place to visit nonetheless, all those pesky mosquitoes notwithstanding. There is an additional bonus of learning the names of two common trees in BC forests, as information plaques are attached to those trees along the trail.
1. We are on Canim-Hendrix Lake Road, approaching intersection with Canim Lake South Road. Please, see our Mahood Lake Campground Visit trip report for directions on getting up to this point from BC Highway 97 near 100 Mile House. This is the same photo as photo #7 of that report. The only difference is that to reach Mahood Lake Campground, Canim Falls, and Deception Falls, you would need to turn to the right at this intersection onto Canim Lake South Road. Whereas, to get to Hendrix Creek Falls, drive straight and remain on Canim-Hendrix Lake Road for the next 30 kilometers.
2. Canim-Hendrix Lake Road after the intersection.
3. It's a pleasant drive until the asphalt ends, and then potholes are going to slow you down.
4. Just over 30 kilometers past Canim Lake South Rd (and 64 kilometers past the turnoff from Highway 97), leave Canim-Hendrix Road by taking the road to the right (Spanish Creek FSR) at the split seen in the photo below.
5. Spanish Creek Forest Service Road.
6. 600 meters after leaving Canim-Hendrix Lake Road, leave Spanish Creek FSR by taking yet another road to the right, this time 701 Road.
7. Drive on 701 Road for the next 2.8 kilometers. This road is fairly rough, so a high-clearance vehicle may be required (2WD ok).
8. Arriving at Hendrix Creek Falls trailhead parking area. For some reason, the sign says "Recreation Site." However, there are no facilities at all, and it's unclear why this is called a recreation site without any of those.
9. And here is the trailhead. Coordinates: N 51’57’065 W 120’40’491. Elevation: 997 meters.
10. The trail is only 300 meters long. Many mosquitoes are eagerly awaiting your arrival.
11. The observation platform at the end of the trail.
12. Right across from the platform is Hendrix Creek Falls.
13. Now with some zoom.
Here is a video of Hendrix Creek Falls.
More ihikebc.com videos are on our YouTube Channel.
Hendrix Creek Falls is not as impressive as the nearby Deception Falls or, especially, Canim Falls. That said, it's still a very fine waterfall, and the trail to it is short and easy. Recommended.
ihikebc.com -> 170 Hendrix Creek Falls Visit (Off Spanish Creek FSR near 100 Mile House BC)