Trip 167 - August 3, 2019 (Saturday)
Mahood Lake Campground Visit
Wells Gray Provincial Park near 100 Mile House BC
Location: South-Central British Columbia, approximately 76 kilometers from 100 Mile House via Highway 97 (for 2 km), Canim-Hendrix Lake Road (for 34 km), Canim Lake South Road (for 25 km), and Mahood Lake Road (for 15 km).
Liked: Mahood Lake views.
Of Note: Much of the Canim Lake South Road is narrow and winding. Some potholes after asphalt ends approximately 30 kilometers before the campground.
Cariboo Chilcotin Coast BC Backroad Mapbook (4th edition) Mahood Lake Campground Coordinates: Page 19 (Interlakes Highway) E1.
Related Website: Wells Gray Provincial Park - BC Parks Official Website.
We visited Mahood Lake Campground in Wells Gray Provincial Park en route to hiking to Canim Falls, and also to Deception Falls, described in our following trip reports. However, visiting Mahood Lake Campground even for a few minutes proved to be time well-spent, as there are some fine lake views available at that location. This trip report also serves to show the route for accessing Canim Falls trailhead, as well as much of the way to Deception Falls trailhead.
1. We are Northbound on BC Highway 97, with 100 Mile House approximately 2 kilometers behind us. The sign shows that turning right would lead to the community of Forest Grove, as well as to Canim and Hendrix Lakes. There is also a sign a few meters behind us indicating that this is the way to Mahood Lake - follow that sign, as it appears at all key intersections.
2. Making the right turn from Highway 97 onto Canim-Hendrix Lake Road. Coordinates: N 51'39'879 W 121'17'337. Elevation: 739 meters. Zero your odometer here.
3. Canim-Hendrix Road. Residences on both sides.
4. Arriving at Forest Grove general store (on the right side) at the 21.0 km mark. This is your last chance to fuel up.
5. And ahead is an intersection, where Eagle Creek Road is straight ahead, but we need to turn right.
6. Continuing on Canim-Hendrix Lake Road after making the right turn in Forest Grove.
7-8. At the 34.0 km mark, make a right turn onto Canim Lake South Road.
9. Canim Lake Resort arrives at the 36.6 km mark.
10. There are resorts and residences all along Canim Lake, so getting to the shore is not an option, and one has to be content with observing Canim Lake mostly through the trees.
11. At the 43.4 km mark, turning right onto McDonald-Takagi Forest Service Road would lead to Howard Lake Recreation Site (fee applies) within 4 km. But we are going straight. This is where the asphalt ends, and dirt road with some potholes begins.
12. At the 58.9 km mark, turn left onto Mahood Lake Road.
13. At the 69.5 km mark, there is parking area and trailhead for Canim Falls trail, which we will cover in the next trip report.
14. Make a left turn at the T-junction shortly before the campground.
15. Arriving at Mahood Lake Campground (Wells Gray Provincial Park) 74 kilometers after turning from Highway 97. To the left is Mahood Lake North Road leading to Deception Falls trail. The campground and the lake are to the right.
16. Mahood Lake Campground information.
17. Mahood Lake Campground rules and daily camping fee.
18. Mahood Lake Campground group camping area.
19. Mahood Lake Campground solo camping spot.
20. Mahood Lake itself.
21. A bit to the left.
22. Isn't it idyllic.
23. Mahood Lake Campground boat launch area.
24. View from the boat launch.
Mahood Lake Campground was quite busy on this long weekend, and certainly appears to be popular. The lake views are very good, so consider this as a fine camping spot, as well as a base for exploring nearby trails, some of which we will cover in the following trip reports.
ihikebc.com -> 167 Mahood Lake Campground Visit (Wells Gray Provincial Park near 100 Mile House BC)