The town of Sidney is a lovely small town just off
Highway 17 on the way from Swartz Bay ferry terminal to Victoria. It has
a neat seawall and an interesting main street (Beacon Avenue). Today, we
walked down Beacon Avenue, checked out the seawall, and then walked a
bit around the residential part of Sidney, which has a beach access at
the foot of Amherst Avenue.
1. Here is a Google Maps location of the Town of Sidney
on Vancouver Island.
2. Here is a map of Saanich Peninsula. We have indicated
the town of Sidney with a red square. Swartz Bay ferry terminal is at
the top of the map, and the city of Victoria at the bottom.
Map of Saanich Peninsula
3. And here is a general map of the town of Sidney.
North Saanich and Town of Sidney BC Map
4. Finally, the map of downtown Sidney. We have indicated
as follows: red square - a big free parking lot by the info centre, red
arrows - the direction of our travel down Beacon Avenue, yellow square -
Beacon Park, yellow arrows - the seawall. Highway 17 from Swartz Bay to
Victoria is seen just to the left of the red square as two thin red
Downtown Sidney BC Map
5. The town of Sidney sign near the info centre.
Sidney BC Town Sign
6. Here is that big free parking lot.
Elevation: 10 meters.
Free parking lot Sidney BC Canada
7. The parking lot has some blue lines-marked stalls, and
a sign states as shown. Unclear if overnight parking is allowed in all
other stalls, which would be neat. Perhaps, white lines-marked stalls
are designated for the community centre, in which case overnight parking
here would not be possible - check with the info centre staff for
clarification, if needed.
Parking lot sign Sidney Vancouver Island British Columbia
8. Near the parking lot and very close to the info
centre, right in front of Mary Winspear Community Centre, is a cenotaph
with this statue.
Sidney BC Cenotaph Statue
9. We are beginning our walk down Sidney's main street,
Beacon Avenue, which runs for about 7 blocks. Here we are on the corner
of Beacon Avenue and 7th Street.
Beacon Avenue at 7th Avenue Sidney BC Canada
10. A beacon just off Beacon Avenue.
Beacon Monument - Thrifty Foods - Sidney BC
11. People sitting at a table on
Beacon Avenue in Sidney, BC.
People in Sidney BC
12. Sidney's street banners are all the same, just these
two, but they are fairly good.
Sidney BC Street Banners
13. Still on Beacon Avenue.
Beacon Avenue - Sidney - British Columbia - Canada
14. Sidney has a few more "iron people" around town.
Iron Man Statue Sidney BC
15. Now we are by Beacon Park, located at the end of
Beacon Avenue - Sidney - British Columbia
16. Beacon Park sign.
Sidney BC Beacon Park Sign
17. It's a very pleasant park, pretty much in the middle
of the seawall, which goes for about 500 meters in each direction from
Sidney Beacon Park
18-19. The exterior of Sidney Fish Market is sure
pleasant to look at.
Sidney BC Fish Market Building
Sidney Fish Market
20. Pier Bistro restaurant next to the Fish Market.
Pier Bistro Restaurant Sidney BC Canada
21. We are now walking down the seawall and turned to
look back at the Fish Market and the restaurant.
22-23. A bit further is this diver art piece.
Diver art piece Sidney BC Seawall
Sidney BC diver art piece
24. Moving on, here is Sidney fishing pier.
Sidney BC fishing pier
25. It's quite long indeed.
Fishing Pier Sidney British Columbia Canada
26. A few people were apparently crabbing from the pier.
Crabbing in Sidney BC
27. This is where the seawall ends on the right side (if
facing the ocean).
Sidney BC Seawall
28. We have now turned around, and what a fine view!
Seawall Sidney BC
29. We are now a few hundred meters past Beacon Park
while exploring the remainder of the seawall.
Sidney Seawall British Columbia Canada
30-31. Here is Port Sidney Marina.
Port Sidney Marina
Port Sidney Marina on Vancouver Island BC
32. A very green spot on Sidney seawall.
Sidney British Columbia Seawall
33. And this is the seawall's other end, at Third Street
near Henry Avenue.
34. Sidney's Third Street.
Third Street - Sidney - British Columbia - Canada
35. We then walked down Third Street for a bit, and found
beach access at the foot of Amherst Avenue.
Sidney BC Beach
Sidney, BC is a lovely little town to visit. Highly
Trip 283 - Town of Sidney BC Visit (Vancouver