Mundy Park is an impressive large park located in the City of Coquitlam
to the East of Vancouver. It has a 4 km-long Perimeter trail, and
several trails that cut across the park while beginning and ending at or
near the Perimeter Trail. A few shorter trails are there as well. The elevation change is minimal, and a whole
lot of people were walking, jogging, and riding bicycles in the park
today. Dog walkers were out in force too. It is bound to be even busier
on weekends. There are fine tall trees lining up mostly very wide and
level paths. A few benches here and there allow to rest for a while.
Mundy Lake is located inside the park, and is more of an oversized pond
than a lake. That said, there is a 1 km-long trail around the lake, and
it's the only dog-free place in the park, as dogs are not permitted to
be near the lake.
We have taken public transit to get to and from Mundy Park, and there
are several bus and Skytrain photographs in this trip report.
1. We are in Vancouver, on the corner of Terminal Avenue and Main
Street, approaching Main Street-Science World Skytrain station.
Main Street at Terminal Avenue Vancouver British
2. At the entrance to the station.
Main Street - Science World Skytrain Station Entrance
3. Inside the station, getting ready to head up the stairs.
Inside Main Street Skytrain Station Vancouver BC
4. Now on the platform. We need a train to Production Way - University.
Main Street Skytrain Platform
5. Station name sign.
Main Street - Science World Station
6. Our train is approaching.
Skytrain on Main Street Station
7. Inside the train. It's almost 9 AM.
Inside Skytrain Vancouver BC
8. Looking through the windshield.
9. Arrived to Braid Station, 30 minutes after boarding at Main
Braid Station Platform
10. Inside Braid Station.
Braid Station New Westminster British Columbia Canada
11. Outside Braid Station.
Braid Station Exterior
12. There is a bus loop by Braid Station, and we needed bus #153.
Bus #153 at Braid Skytrain Station
13. Inside the bus by the driver's seat.
Inside Translink Bus
14. Inside another bus on the way back.
Translink Bus Interior
15. After a 20 minute ride, we are the stop on Como Lake Avenue by Baker
Drive, looking back. Park entrance is seen on the left side past the bus
Como Lake Avenue at Baker Drive Bus Stop
16. There are 11 entrances (called "gates") to Mundy Park, and this is
gate #2. Coordinates: N 49⁰15.786' W
122⁰49.484. Elevation: 168 meters.
Mundy Park Entrance - Como Lake Avenue at Baker Drive
17. Mundy Park map from the info stand seen in the photo above. Our
entrance is inside the red square at the top of the map. 4 km-long
Perimeter Trail is a blue circle. Waterline Trail, which we took after
hiking the entirety of the Perimeter Trail, is seen descending from the
red square, and the first intersecting trail is Interlakes Trail, which
then led us to Mundy Lake.
Mundy Park Trail Map
18-19. 70 meters past the entrance, we are at the intersection of
Waterline Trail and Perimeter Trail. We turned to the right, and walked
the Perimeter Trail counter-clockwise.
Waterline Trail at Perimeter Trail Coquitlam BC
Mundy Park Coquitlam BC
20. Perimeter Trail in Mundy Park.
Mundy Park Perimeter Trail
21. Wide, smooth, with minimal elevation change.
Mundy Park Coquitlam British Columbia
22. An interesting view on the right side.
23. And a very atmospheric bench. All other benches we have seen are
quite modern in comparison.
Bench in Mundy Park
24. Having completed the Perimeter Trail loop, we returned to Waterline
Trail, and headed straight. Soon, it reached Interlakes Trail, where we
Waterline Trail at Interlakes Trail in Mundy Park
25. Now on Interlakes Trail, with a left turn to Mundy Lake seen ahead.
Dogs are not allowed on the trails near the lake.
Mundy Park - Interlakes Trail
26. Approaching Mundy Lake. It took less than 10 minutes from the
intersection of Perimeter and Waterline trails to get here.
27. Mundy Lake, featuring two Canadian geese. There was also a duck
there, and that's all for waterfowl.
28. Lakeside Loop Trail around Mundy Lake is 1 km long.
Lakeside Loop Trail in Mundy Park Coquitlam BC Canada
29. A bench by the lake. The view was underwhelming, but the sun was
nice to have on a fairly chilly morning.