Trip 176 - August 13, 2019 (Tuesday)
Viewland Mountain Trail Hike
Near Horsefly BC
Location: South-Central British Columbia, approximately 26 kilometers East of the settlement of Horsefly, which itself is located about 50 kilometers East of BC Highway 97 near 150 Mile House / Williams Lake.
Liked: Horsefly Lake view, shade in the forest, few bugs.
Of Note: The views are mostly overgrown, and there won't be much left to see in 10-15 years. Several steep sections. Hiking poles and boots are recommended.
Cariboo Chilcotin Coast BC Backroad Mapbook (4th edition) Park Location Coordinates: Page 30 (Horsefly) E1.
Viewland Mountain Trail is located off Horsefly Lake Road. The access to the trailhead is easy, and could be tackled by just about any vehicle. It's a very short trail (about 1.5 hrs round trip), and leads to mostly overgrown views of Horsefly Lake. Better views of Horsefly Lake (and a shorter trail) can be had at Horsefly Lake Provincial Park, which is 12 kilometers closer to Horsefly. Viewland Mountain trail is a good exercise going up and down the mountain, if nothing else.
1. We are driving on Horsefly Lake Road (or it could already be Haggens Point Road [Z road], but it's the same road), with Viewland Forest Service Road turnoff seen on the right side. Please, see our Horsefly Lake Road Visit trip report for directions on getting up to this point from BC Highway 97 in 150 Mile House / Williams Lake area. This is the same photograph as photo #16 of that trip report.
2. Viewland Forest Service Road after the turn.
3. Drive on Viewland FSR for 1.4 km, and arrive at the trailhead parking area on the right side.
4. Viewland Mountain trailhead. Coordinates: N 52’26’448 W 121’10’833. Elevation: 956 meters.
5. The trail begins.
6. At first, the trail passes through a small logged out area.
7. Looking left.
8. Viewland Mountain trail is fairly easy, though it does get steeper closer to the end.
9. Here is the steep part.
10. In less than an hour, we are almost at the top.
11. And here is the end of Viewland Mountain trail. Coordinates: N 52’25’807 W 121’09’964 Elevation: 1,309 meters (353 meters elevation gain from the start of the trail). It took us 56 minutes to get here. The total distance was 2.3 km.
12. There is a picnic table on top of the mountain.
13. As well as some equipment.
14. Alas, the views are mostly obstructed by the trees.
15. Here is the only unobstructed view of Horsefly Lake, and it will be gone in 10-15 years, as fir trees are getting taller by the minute.
16. Now with a zoom.
Here is a video of the views from this location.
More ihikebc.com videos are on our YouTube Channel.
Viewland Mountain trail is a good workout, and it still has a half-decent view. Plus, a picnic table on top of the mountain.
<--- Horsefly Lake Prov. Park Next Trip Pending................
ihikebc.com -> 176 Viewland Mountain Trail Hike (near Horsefly BC)