Road Start Location: Northeastern British Columbia,
140 km North of Prince George.
Smooth road with very few potholes, War Falls.
The road becomes narrow and winding after the 9
Northern BC Backroad Mapbook
(3rd edition) Carp Lake Turnoff from Highway 97
Page 41 (McLeod Lake) E4.
Carp Lake Provincial Park - BC Parks.
Other Trips in Mackenzie Area:
Kimta Creek Trail Hike,
Parsnip West Forest Service
Canty Lake Trail Hike,
Murray Range Trail
Carp Lake Road leads to Carp Lake Provincial Park, and also to a short
trail to War Falls. The road is very smooth, but substantially narrows
and becomes winding at about the 9 km mark, making for some close calls
when encountering other vehicles.
Points of Interest for Carp Lake Road:
||McLeod Lake IR entrance
||Tse'khene Food & Fuel
||Asphalt ends, gravel starts
||Forest Service Road (FSR)
||War Horse Lake
The road narrows
||9200 Rd (FSR)
||Carp Lake Provincial Park
||Bridge (McLeod River)
||War Rd (FSR)
Campground (12 sites)
Lake/McLeod River Trail
||Carp Lake Campground (80 sites)
1. We are on Highway 97 South, with Carp Lake Road turnoff seen ahead on
the right side. Prince George is approximately 140 km further South, and
Mackenzie Junction (Highway 97 at Highway 39) is about 17 kilometers
Coordinates for the Carp Lake Road turnoff: N
54'59'511 W 123'02'007. Elevation: 700 meters. Zero your odometer at the
turnoff, if you want to follow the points of interest in the table
BC Highway 97 at Carp Lake Road Near Mackenzie
2. Carp Lake Road shortly after the turnoff.
Carp Lake Road near Mackenzie British Columbia Canada
3. A neat sign.
McLeod Lake Indian Band Sign
4. The road becomes gravel after the 2.1 km mark. It becomes narrow and
winding at about the 9 km mark, so watch out for incoming vehicles
towing boats, especially if you are towing one yourself - things can get
complicated, if either you or the driver of the incoming vehicle are not
watching the speed. The photo below is when the road is still wide and
Carp Lake Road near Mackenzie BC Canada
5. The entrance to Carp Lake Provincial Park is at the 23.1 km mark.
Entrance to Carp Lake Provincial Park British Columbia Canada
6. And just down the road is an information stand and a trailhead to War
Falls (to the right of the stand).
Carp Lake Provincial Park
7. The map of the park on the information stand.
Map of Carp Lake Provincial park BC Canada
8. The short (about 10 minutes one way) trail to War Falls is easy, with
several long staircases in the steepest parts.
Trail to War Falls in Carp Lake Provincial Park
9. One of the staircases.
Staircase on the trail to War Falls near Mackenzie BC Canada
10. There are actually three waterfalls in quick succession. The first
one is quite picturesque.
First War Falls
11. A close-up of the right side of the first waterfall.
12. The second waterfall is fine too - a slight zoom used.
Second War Falls
13. The third and main waterfall is at the end of the trail, and there
is a small observation platform there. This War Falls definitely
Kinuseo Falls, except it looked four times shorter.
Main War Falls in Carp Lake Provincial Park British Columbia Canada
14. War Falls is very wide, so here is the part on the left which was
too wide for our camera on the photo above.
Here is Our Video of War Falls:
List of Our Videos
15. Continuing on Carp Lake Road, War Lake campground (twelve
is at the 24.2 km mark.
Camping is $20 per night during the season.
16. One of the
War Lake campground Carp Lake Provincial Park near Mackenzie BC
17. War Lake itself, featuring a boat launch.
War Lake in Carp Lake Provincial Park
18. Continuing on Carp Lake Road.
Carp Lake Road near Mackenzie BC Canada
19. Turnoff to Rainbow Lake and McLeod River trail is at the 30.2 km
Carp Lake Road at Rainbow Lake / McLeod River Trail turnoff
20. Parking area.
21. Map of the trail. You can walk to Carp Lake campground from here.
McLeod River Loop Trail Map - Carp Lake Provincial Park British Columbia
22. We only had time to take a photo of Rainbow Lake before returning to
the parking area.
Rainbow Lake in Carp Lake Provincial Park near Mackenzie BC Canada
23. At the 31.5 km mark, there is an entrance gate to Carp Lake
campground. Forest Service Road continues to the right of the gate, but
becomes much more rough and narrow - we followed it for 500 meters until
it became overgrown. Backroad Mapbook shows that there are roads
leading for many kilometers from there.
Carp Lake campground entrance
24. Carp Lake campground rules.
Carp Lake campground rules
25. Carp Lake - you can reserve a
camping site on one of the four
islands on the lake.
Carp Lake British Columbia Canada
26. View from one of eighty
Carp Lake campground near Mackenzie BC
Visiting War Falls was sure a neat experience, and Carp Lake campground
camping, if you are interested. Just watch out for that
narrow and winding part of Carp Lake Road.
-> 111 Carp
Lake Road (War Falls Visit)