Trip 007 - October 7-8, 2009 (Wednesday - Thursday)
TransCanada Highway 1 East & BC Highway 99 South Trip
Page 2 of 2
Related Website: DriveBC (road conditions).
26. 73 kilometers after turning onto Highway 99 from Highway 1, we are arriving to the town of Lillooet, BC's little nugget, as the sign says.
28. BC Rail station in Lillooet.
29. Lillooet feels a bit like a Wild West town.
30. Replace the cars with horses here, and is this Wild West or what?
33. ...arrive to Naxwit picnic area, run by BC Hydro.
35. Naxwit picnic area has good mountain views...
36. ...as well as a creek.
37. Drive a bit further, and Seton Lake is waiting to impress.
38. Seton Lake has an upper viewing/parking area, and also the lower parking area. Most parking stalls at the lower parking area have very limited or no view due to the vegetation, but if you come when there are few vehicles, you could get a spot like this.
39. Someone has put their artistic talent to good use in the lower parking area.
40. A view of Seton Lake from the lower parking area. There were, perhaps, 4-5 other vehicles present. Seton Lake parking/viewing area is managed by BC Hydro.
42. Now looking South not far from the previous photo.
43. This is one of my most favourite views of the entire trip due to the variety of colours.
44. Nice mountain indeed.
45. And turning around and looking the opposite way yields yet another great view.
46. There are quite a few pullouts allowing a safe exit off the highway to enjoy the scenery.
47. And sometimes you don't even have to get off the highway. Construction crews occasionally stop the traffic for a while, allowing the drivers to walk right on the highway. Or play ball.
48. The traffic was minimal on this October Thursday. It's a good thing for tourists, since when you have several cars trailing you on a highway with few passing lanes, it's hard to enjoy the surroundings. Thus, try to visit on a weekday, preferably in off-season (but not in the winter, as highways do get closed due to avalanches).
49. Duffey Lake. Quite large. Lots of parking there too.
51. About 15 minutes away from Pemberton.
52. Almost in Pemberton now.
And then we drove further South through Whistler, Squamish, West Vancouver and returned to Vancouver. It was too dark to take more pictures. A great trip for sure.
ihikebc.com -> 007 Highway 1 & 99 Trip Page 2 of 2